enzh-CNfrdeitjaparuestr

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
24 Mar 2019
Forums are now in read only mode. Please read more to see alternative options.
Read More...
Past and present, we all want to hear your story.

TOPIC: Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs)

Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs) 2 years 4 months ago #6101

Hey C123,

Congrats on your result , from what I can tell it looks really good.

What you say about the bar maybe not being bent enough, I reckon that Schaar placed the bar as far down as possible to get under the deepest part of the dent. Maybe there is some depression left near the edge of the sternum, im guessing by the X-rays that this would be more the case on the left side of your sternum. I can't tell by the photographs though.

To keep in mind is that if one measures the length of chest in front and the space available between bony ribs on either side, if there is too great an excess in front, after essentially bracing it with a Nuss bar you would have to settle for either a slight inward or otherwise slightly outward chest shape to accommodate. Unless your bony ribs are willing to move over a bit...

Keep fighting this good fight! Over the next few months you will improve to a point where you won't feel bothered to have your bars removed.

Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs) 2 years 4 months ago #6102

• C123
  • C123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank You's Rec'd: 19
Hey Denv, thank you for you reply!

I too think that I got a good result and I am aware that I don't have much reason to complain. What I'm doing is supposed to be more like "analyzing" than complaining.

I don't think the bar wasn't bent enough. I am just wondering about the extra inwards curve the lower bar makes in the middle. You can see that on the side x-ray. I'm sure there is a reason for it though. But I think it leaves my lower sternum sunken in a little bit.

Besides that the left side of my chest seems to be pushed out a little bit more than the right side. I believe that's because the lower bar reaches down further on the left. I'm not sure why the lower bar is so oblique but I guess maybe schaar wanted it to cover the whole area where my heart is to make sure there is no more compression. Which is great because that's what caused me the most problems pre-op.

I don't really understand your explanation about the bony ribs having to move over.

Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs) 2 years 4 months ago #6103

I just took a quick look at your before pics. Looked almost symmetrical but left maybe had greater PE which is why the bar runs oblique.

When I say the bony ribs would have to accommodate, think of it like this. Your chest as it is now: I add a further 10 centimeters to the cartilage length on each side of sternum. If you wanted that stretch of chest with the sternum and cartilage to be 'flat' like a normal chest, you would need to force the bony ribs at your sides further away which I imagine would give a person severe back ache.
The following user(s) said Thank You: C123

Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs) 2 years 3 months ago #6333

• C123
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Quick update after 4 months and 1 week.
I'm now working full time, 10 hrs a day again without any problems. The pressure and pain on my chest that I always had before surgery when I was sitting for a while is completely gone, which is really great.

The only times I still have some pain are after getting up in the morning and when I'm sneezing. I didn't take any pain meds for the last 3 weeks or so.
I'm going to the gym 2-3 times a week, still not back to 100% with the weights because I always get a lot of cracking and clicking noises and feelings when working out. It feels like my chest isn't completely stable yet. So I'm still careful.

The scars are still very visible but are slowly fading.

All in all I am very happy with the results and I am also very happy that the really tough weeks after surgery are over now.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Simba

Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs) 2 years 3 months ago #6345

• Anna
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank You's Rec'd: 41
Very good result! For the scars, don't worry, just wait. On my right side, it is slow too, but it is fading. I am really glad you feel better than pre-op and that the minor remaining problems are slowly going away. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: C123

Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs) 5 months 2 days ago #8811

Thank you for sharing
How are you doing?
Any updates?

Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs) 5 months 1 day ago #8812

• C123
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I'm doing fine, thank you for asking!
I didn't think about PE much recently. I'm still happy with my surgery results, although my chest still doesn't look 100% normal.
This year in December it will already be 3 years since surgery. I really can't belief how fast the time is passing. I'm not sure yet if I will then have the bars removed already. I might keep them in for one additional year as I am not sure if my chest is completely stable yet.
I still feel the bars inside my chest but they rarely hurt and don't bother me much. I remember two times last year when I woke up in really intense pain. It felt like something got trapped under the bar. I tried to carefully massage the area where the pain came from and it got better within a day or two. Other than that I had no late complications, everything was going smoothly after the first couple of months. And the most important thing is: I feel much better physically. No more chest pains or pressure on my chest like I had before surgery. This alone was worth all the pain I was going through in the first weeks after surgery.

I didn't have as much time for the gym in the last couple of months since I am working 70+ hours a week but I still try to work out at least 2 times a week.
I'll try and post some updated pictures soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simba

Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs) 4 months 4 weeks ago #8830

• dh66
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank You's Rec'd: 7
C123 - wow! working 70 hours per-week. What was your endurance like pre-surgery? You've almost convinced me to get mine fixed.

Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs) 4 months 5 days ago #8925

• dh66
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank You's Rec'd: 7
Hi C123,

How are you progressing? Big question I'd like to ask is, the 70 + hours you say you are working, was that something you couldn't do previously? Or, was it something you did with difficulty?

What is the biggest improvements you now notice with your endurance and breathing + heart rates?

Thanks again.
Moderators: ipectusRandy
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds

Login | Register