enzh-CNfrdeitjaparuestr

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
24 Mar 2019
Forums are now in read only mode. Please read more to see alternative options.
Read More...
Past and present, we all want to hear your story.

TOPIC: Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs)

Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs) 2 years 8 months ago #5759

• C123
  • C123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank You's Rec'd: 19
The first two days of recovery are really no picnic. I was in a lot of pain after I woke up from surgery yesterday. Then during the night the epidural catheter moved a bit so it now only works on my left side. I was in brutal pain on my right side this morning. They are now giving me more iv pain meds so it's much better now. But there's also a lot of nausea. They let me sit up twice today and every time I had to throw up.

schaar came in about an hour ago. he said the surgery went fine without any problems. he used two bars. he pushed me very hard with the breathing execises which was exhausting.

Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs) 2 years 8 months ago #5761

• C123
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
day 3 was hell on earth. day 4 can only be better

Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs) 2 years 8 months ago #5762

• Anna
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank You's Rec'd: 41
Hi C123,

You are in my thoughts :-) Don't despair, IT WILL GET BETTER. Try to move your arms, try some positions, anything that gives you relief. The breathing exercises are super important. That new empty space created in your rib cage needs to be filled in with something (to avoid regression at bar removal), and that something is lungs that will push your heart to the center. Breathing deeply and slowly helps with pain. It helps to relax your muscles. Try to completey isolate your mind from your body. Imagine you are on a beach, that you can feel the warm breeze entering your lungs. If it helps, listen to some white noise. Don't worry if you cannot do all the breathing exercises at once. What is important is to do them often even if it is just one or two breathings. Each time you do one, see it as a victory, don't think about what you do do and should have done. Try to walk with the wheeled frame, even if it is very slow. Don't move your head too quickly to avoid nausea. Again deep breathing to avoid nausea.

Good luck

Anna

Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs) 2 years 8 months ago #5768

• C123
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I'm much better now and will hopefully go back home tmr.

I had a really bad time at the ICU for the first days. Especially day 3 was horrible. I was throwing up all day long, even if I just had a small sip of water it immediately made me throw up again. They tried to make me sit up but I would just throw up and faint. That day must have been the most miserable of my life.

Also ICU is run by anesthesiologists and some of them are not very experienced, especially not with nuss patients, which let to some false assumptions. Unlike in many other hospitals the surgeons don't join the ward round for their ICU patients at helios, which is a bit of a disadvantage.
It let to situations like these:
- One night the anesthesiologist reduced the vacuum in one of the drains and told me if the xray doesn't show anything abnormal it can be removed the next day. she planned to do the same with the second drain afterwards.
The next morning schaar came in and just removed all drains without any xrays. Which I think was the right decision because I quickly felt much better after that. But everyone at ICU seemed very angry about that.
- My CRP level was elevated after the surgery. The anesthesiologist thought it must be pneumonia (although the chest xray didn't show anything suspicious). So she gave me a different antibiotic. Later that night schaar stopped by and pointed out that the CRP level was absolutely normal for that time and that he sees that in every nuss patient (the nurses at the normal ward later said the same). But since they already started I still had to get the new antibiotic for 4 more days. No catastrophy but getting two broad spectrum antibiotics in a row is not that nice, especially concerning gastrointestinal side effects.

I'm not blaming anyone and in the end everything turned out well. I just think collaboration between surgeons and anesthesiologists could be improved here.

Things turned for the better when I was back to normal ward. I feel pretty good now at day 9, except for some pain especially on the left side and at the center of my chest. I didn't think I could go from feeling that miserable to feeling that good in just 6 days.

I'm on Ibuprofen and Novalgin (Metamizole) now. Got rid of all opioids quickly, which is good because they brought me a lot of side effects.

I'm having some pain spikes here and there but overall it's very bearable now.

I'm happy with the visible results. There might be a little overcorrection on upper PE and a little undercorrection on lower PE but thats just nuances and doesn't bother me much. I will post some pictures soon.

I hope my physical symptoms got better too, which will take some time to show.

I hope the journey back home won't be too exhausting. If I dont feel worse at home I might be able to try some swimming on saturday or sunday.

Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs) 2 years 8 months ago #5771

• Anna
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
These news sound encouraging :-)

Just keep in mind a rebound of pain might happen, so just prepare with enough painkillers on hand, heating pads, have a hot water shower routine (if too weak you can sit in the bath tub and have a shower without standing up), already keep a diary of what helps, at what time and what you pain levels are (this will be super useful when the rebound happens).

The stretching exercises are super important to relax muscles (it helps with pain and general comfort). Breathing exercises are very important too. Deep breathing is relaxing. Always do it slowly at the beginning, so that you feel if pain is about to set in and you can stop just in time before you hurt yourself. Take vitamins, eat red meat for iron and B12.

Anna

Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs) 2 years 8 months ago #5782

• C123
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
First two nights at home were not bad. It's great to finally decide what I want to do and when I want to do it by myself again. It's also great to be able to cook my own food again.

I'm trying to slowly reduce my painkillers at least every second day so I'm never really painfree but it is mostly bearable.

I didn't go swimming yet because the sutures on my drain wounds aren't removed yet. That should be done tmr. I'm not sure yet if I am flexible enough to do that on my own.

I went to the gym yesterday and did some light cardio exercises, some exercises the physiotherapist at helios showed me and some machine exercises without any weights. My main goal is to mobilize my left arm as good as possible since due to the pain on my left side I'm still not able to move it very well. I'm trying to do the exercises about 1 hr after taking a painkiller because for me that's the time with the least pain.

Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs) 2 years 8 months ago #5783

• Anna
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I remember someone saying that the first time she went swimming she almost lost her balance because the shape of her torso is now different. So make sure you stay near the edges in case you experience difficulties. Try to find a pool with warm water.

Indeed frequent movements of the painful side is super important. Always start very slow so you do not hurt yourself. Possibly massage your left shoulder/side with your right hand when you are mobilising your left arm. It worked wonders for me. Also use a heating pad at the same time (or put your jumper on a radiator first) so the painful area is more relaxed. Make sure you do the same amount of exercises for each side of your body.

Something that is often forgotten about in pain management is room temperature. It must be cold now in Germany. If you can afford it, increase your thermostat by a couple of degrees (at least in one or two rooms). You'll probably need fewer painkiller tablets. Zinc supplements are known to be helpful for healing scars.

Good luck! :-)

Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs) 2 years 8 months ago #5792

• C123
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Here are some pictures of my results.

I am happy with the results, although unfortunately I think my lower PE was not fully corrected (see next post)

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs) 2 years 8 months ago #5793

• C123
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
On my lower chest there is still a small dent. It is visible when I'm lying on my back, when I breathe in or when looking up from downwards.

I can feel that my sternum is still sunken in about 1 centimeter at that point. That is also the point where I had a constant feeling of inward pressure before the surgery. I really hope that problem ist solved now despite the remaining dent.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs) 2 years 8 months ago #5794

I really think that result is as close to perfect as you can get. I don't think you have lower PE. You have that tiny bit of rib flare that is fairly common with pectus patients. It will be even less noticeable if you build up your chest and abs, however even as of right now the only person who would notice it is you.
Moderators: ipectusRandy
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds