enzh-CNfrdeitjaparuestr
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
24 Mar 2019
FORUMS WILL BE CLOSING DOWN PERMANENTLY APRIL 1, 2019
Read More...
Past and present, we all want to hear your story.

TOPIC: Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs)

Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs) 2 years 4 months ago #5641

• C123
  • C123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank You's Rec'd: 19
Hi,

I just got approved for PE correction by my insurance company and will have the Nuss surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt in Berlin on Dec 6. I'd like to share this experience here.

I had PE since I was a kid and while the vacuum bell may have improved the appearance a bit since then (used it for 5 yrs+), the physical symptoms got worse over time.

I'm excited to finally get rid of PE (hopefully) and hope I will be able to go through recovery without any major complications.

I attached some recent pre-op pictures. Will update in December.

Chris

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by C123.

Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs) 2 years 4 months ago #5646

• Anna
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank You's Rec'd: 41
Hi and welcome :-)

I went to Berlin end of September. People there are really nice. Some nurses do not speak fluent English, so if you don't speak German, try to learn in advance a couple of standard sentences. The sentences I learnt were:
I'm thirsty/hungry
I'm cold
I'm in pain (my arm hurts, my leg hurts, etc)
My breathing is difficult
There was one sentence that I did not prepare in advance: "I have to throw up", and I still feel terribly bad that I threw up on the nurse :-/

I used a free translator app that I found online (I think there were 10 free sentences a day, so prepare in advance) and there was the pronounciation too, so I practice a bit every day the week before going.

Good luck!

Schaarschmidt will tell you to walk and to take the stairs instead of the lift/elevator. Just do it. The guy has a sort of third eye at the back of his head :D and he'll know that you use the lifts. And you'll be told off... :D

Anna

Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs) 2 years 4 months ago #5653

• C123
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thank you for your reply and your advice, Anna!

I've been following your journal and found it very helpful to get a better clue what to expect from this operation and the recovery period.

I forgot to mention in my first post that I am actually German, so luckily the language won't be a problem :)

Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs) 2 years 4 months ago #5666

Good luck with your surgery C123, I'm sure the professor will beat that dent out of your chest just nicely and I wish you all the best with your recovery. I am of similar age and wanting to get nussed(again) in the near future so I will be back to check on your progress and results so make sure you keep us updated! Once again good luck!

Last edit: by AussieDent. Reason: I want to add something

Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs) 2 years 3 months ago #5728

• C123
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thank you for the kind words, AussieDent.

2 more days untill surgery day. I'm starting to get a little nervous.

Today I received my chest x-ray images and the radiologist's report via mail. Seeing and reading that my heart is turned and shifted to the left because of PE reassures me that it is the right decision to get this fixed.

Last edit: by C123.

Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs) 2 years 3 months ago #5730

• Anna
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hi,

This is indeed a very intense moment. When I saw the scan images, the severity of my PE hit me like a truck. At the same time it made the decision for surgery easier. It was simply an anatomical impossibility for me to be healty with that rib cage. I remember vividly the night before surgery. I was sitting in the mini-lounge next to the nurses station with a cup of tea. The ward was very quiet. It was 10pm and the kids were all in bed and the parents back home. I spent about an hour on my own thinking about all the hopes that operation was bringing. But I also promise myself to forgive myself if anything goes wrong.

It is a very scary time and the recovery ahead might be very tough. I hope you will be in peace with yourself just before surgery. I once heard Dr J saying it is a life-changing surgery (in all senses) and she is right.

Good luck!

Anna

Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs) 2 years 3 months ago #5738

• C123
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I'm at Helios now. All doctors and nurses I've talked to so far were very friendly and everything seems well-organized. I've also already talked to the physiotherapist who explained showed me all the breathing exercises I'll have to do.

I was hoping I could talk to Prof. Schaarschmidt just for a minute or so today before the surgery tomorrow morning. Unfortunately his flight to berlin is delayed and he's not even at the hospital yet. Once he arrives he'll have to talk to his outpatients who are waiting for hours already. So they told me he won't have time to talk to me today :-/

Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs) 2 years 3 months ago #5739

• Anna
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Schaarschmidt has a whole team with him. There are at least two surgeons for each patient. They prepare in advance, read your whole file, study the images. Try not to worry too much. Sometimes S visits his patients very late at night (11pm).

Good luck :-)

Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs) 2 years 3 months ago #5741

• C123
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I managed to talk a few words with him between two outpatient consultations. he promised he'll visit me at the ward later tonight so I can ask him some questions. I'm was very relieved to hear that since there are two small issues I want to tell him before surgery that aren't in my file yet.

Nuss Surgery with Prof. Schaarschmidt on Dec 6 (m, 29yrs) 2 years 3 months ago #5758

C123,
I hope the surgery went really well mate. Did you end up speaking with Schaar prior to your surgery? Give us an update when you are up to it!

Moderators: ipectusRandy
Time to create page: 0.311 seconds