enzh-CNfrdeitjaparuestr

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
24 Mar 2019
Forums are now in read only mode. Please read more to see alternative options.
Read More...
Past and present, we all want to hear your story.
  • Page:

TOPIC: 5 1/2 months out feeling still

5 1/2 months out feeling still 5 months 3 weeks ago #8261

• lp101
  • lp101's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank You's Rec'd: 0
Daughter had nuss 5 &1/2 months ago with amazing recovery... in school 3 weeks post surgery...
She always feels her bars (she has 2).. would anyone know if that feeling will go away? She is hesitant to get back into contact sports .

5 1/2 months out feeling still 5 months 3 weeks ago #8265

Great to know she has a fast recovery. To your question, each PE & PC patient recovers at various rates, some smooth, some bumpy. In a high percentage of us patients, we feel the bars until removal. Each has different levels of feeling the bars. most of us accept the weird bar feeling and go on the way. I have 2 bars for 11 years. Feel the bars all day each day. She will be fine, as we all are, she will find the habits of the bars and do sports and life stuff as she learns.

Does she like the post surgical results?

Randy

5 1/2 months out feeling still 5 months 3 weeks ago #8268

• lp101
  • lp101's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank You's Rec'd: 0
She is happy with her results but feels that her rib flare is still prominent.
I keep telling her that now that her chest is where it is supposed to be, it definitely looks better. But she lives in her body and still sees ALL flare.

As far as the feeling... she feels like things are rubbing so maybe she is just doing too much when she stretches and runs. She still cant sleep on her side and doesn't think she ever will. She has 2 bars and one protrudes out the sides slightly. Dr said he would remove it after a year if she wanted as that wasn't the Main bar.

Just want her to be happy with it all as she was an active sports kid and went through so much to get to this point.

5 1/2 months out feeling still 5 months 3 weeks ago #8269

I'm about 6 months post Nuss. I can't feel the bars individually but can definitely still feel tightness across my chest and there's sort of a lump on either side where the bars are attached. I don't sleep on my side either, my rib flare is still pretty prominent (makes my pot belly look bigger), and my chest isn't perfectly flat but its way better than it was before. Dr told me to exercise but no contact sports with the bars in. I definitely feel more soreness after exercising now. It must be sore muscles plus a sore body from moving with the bars.

Basically, I think our recoveries have been normal. Glad she's happy with the results! I think the recovery will keep getting better over time. I'd just be cautious about taking out a bar early (the longer they're in the less likely a regression will happen). I'd be cautious about contact sports too... my ribs hurt if my toddler nephew or my dog tries jumping on me while I'm on the ground.

5 1/2 months out feeling still 5 months 3 weeks ago #8270

HI,
I am a female (46yo) who is 16 months s/p 2 bars placed. I had a good recovery, too. I am aware of the bars every day, but most of the time I forget about them. I don't do contact sports (other than being a mother :)), but I do TRX and other cross-training/weight-training things. I only notice some restriction if I twist my upper body. I did have some searing side wall pain about 6 months after surgery (like something was tearing inside), but this subsided after about 3 months. Never figured it out.

As for rib flare, I had it before and after surgery. It has not held me back from anything. Granted, I'm not a swimsuit model, but it never was an issue regarding body image, etc. My friends, boyfriends, etc. just knew I had some abnormal chest cavity thing. And once anyone hears you have 2 metal bars in your chest they think you're a badass for being like a bionic woman.

The true purpose of Pectus correction is to remove cardiac/lung restrictions. She may continue to have some restrictions with side sleeping. I did for a few months, but am now able to do it comfortably in my own bed, but not in my kid's bed. Different mattresses. I do have to position myself in such a way to may it comfortable.

When I was having my surgery, members of this on-line community did suggest waiting a year before really knowing how your body was going to react. I am past a year and still feel different things at different times. But for the most part I have a completely normal, active life with minimal restrictions. It just depends on what type of contact sports she is involved in.

5 1/2 months out feeling still 5 months 3 weeks ago #8280

There is a brace that can be worn before and even after surgery to help with reducing the rib flaring, it is fabricated by Pectus Services ( www.pectusservices.com ). This is a custom brace, usually worn for 3-6 hours a day, not at night. We fit there PC braces, which is called the T-Joe brace. But the rib flaring brace still would require you to have it measured and usually a 3D scan. If in the US, you can go to the web site and it will tell you where you can have this done, the service also sees patients in the UK. But, this is something you would have to talk with her surgeon about. Can also try a elastic rib belt or neoprene belt that individuals training use to help with their abdominal muscles (but she would most likely sweat in that one). Good Luck!
  • Page:
Moderators: ipectusRandy
Time to create page: 0.289 seconds

Login | Register