enzh-CNfrdeitjaparuestr

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
24 Mar 2019
Forums are now in read only mode. Please read more to see alternative options.
Read More...
Past and present, we all want to hear your story.

TOPIC: Nolij's journey

Nolij's journey 11 months 1 week ago #7559

• nolij
  • nolij's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank You's Rec'd: 6
This afternoon will be 14 days post surgery.

I showered and dressed myself this morning! I still had my wife in the room when I was putting my shirt on just in case I got stuck and started hurting but she didn't have to do anything :) Still a little sore but no longer taking hydrocodone. I haven't slept in bed yet but may try that tonight.

Couple of observations:
My clothes fit differently now. Enough where I'm going to need to replace a lot of shirts. I had been under the strategy of wearing a tight undershirt and a relatively tight chested shirt in order to prevent my shirt from resting in my dent. That's no longer an issue but now those shirts are way too tight to put on. My old looser shirts now fit comfortably. I tried putting on my white button-up church shirt and couldn't do up the top button now that my chest is fuller (the second to top button was straining).

I keep subconsciously trying to pull my shirt off my dent when I'm sitting. It used to be that when my shirt was touching the center of my chest, it was in my dent so I'd try to casually adjust my shirt. The center of my chest is no longer a dent but old habits die hard.

Nolij's journey 11 months 1 week ago #7560

Everything in its time. Great News!!!

Nolij's journey 11 months 6 days ago #7561

Hey Nolij - The pain stays with your for many weeks, you just find ways to adjust. It's a very strange recovery, very strange!! Up an down days, weeks. Your mind thinks weird thoughts that are always changing. The bottom line for recovery is simple but difficult. you must exercise 3-5 times each day 2x for 20 min, 2x for 40 min and 1x for 60min. The 4 lesser can be walking, steps, rough terain areas and bike. The 60 min would be working as if you are lifting weights at the gym, you can go to the gym, yet the movements at the gym are with out any weights. Yes, that is no weights. This is for the mind and for general body movements that no other exercise will give. Your each day life is living for recovery and normality. Remember to work on super good eating, high protein, med carbs and no sugar. Work up to 2 gallons of water each day with in 30 day. This simple plan will work wonders.

randy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmedino90

Nolij's journey 11 months 2 days ago #7581

• nolij
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Had a follow up Dr's appointment today. Doc gave me the go ahead to go back to work on the 27th (one month post surgery) and said he doesn't need to see me until the 6 month checkup unless something changes.

I attached a before and after photo. I still have a very slight dent and have the rib flares but it is soooo much better now.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Nolij's journey 11 months 2 days ago #7582

Excellent result. An amazing improvement. I was very disappointed with the forum;
I posted a photo (before and after) of my nephew,
and a moderator (Randy) said: "I'm not happy with the photos".
I took the photo; I was afraid my nephew would read the unfortunate comment.
Who is Randy? Is Randy a surgeon? No, he is only a fitness freak (gym rat).
People should help each other, exchange information, be supportive.
Many people have severe deformities, an improvement of 80% is a victory.

Nolij's journey 11 months 2 days ago #7584

Before surgery, my arms were in front of me, now they're on the sides. It's weird.

Nolij's journey 10 months 4 weeks ago #7586

• nolij
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Haha yeah Newtonian, my arms still hang a little weird post surgery. Its not so much anymore but they hung out from my sides like I was pretending to be the hulk. Its mostly just my left arm now.

Yesterday was three weeks post surgery. I slept in bed all last night instead of using the recliner. I could probably have done it sooner but I was nervous about getting all the way up after lying down flat. Getting up surprisingly didn't hurt (just the usual tightness across the chest but no pain). I drove a few miles down the road to buy new dress shirts that fit. Normal driving isn't hard but twisting to look behind me is not fun. My neck went from a 15 1/2 pre surgery to 16 1/2 post surgery (I haven't gained any weight). Must have to do with the thickness of my upper chest now.

My incisions are starting to close up. They aren't all the way sealed yet to where I'd be able to soak/swim but its looking like that'll happen within a week. I've been doing light household chores (raking leaves, sweeping, etc..) and they haven't caused me any problems.

Nolij's journey 10 months 2 weeks ago #7640

• nolij
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Today starts my 5th week post op and finishes my first week back at work.

The week at work has been pretty good. I have a desk job so the hardest part has been sitting all day. It definitely helps to have understanding coworkers. I've been doing about 6 hours in the office, going home to lie down, and then a couple more hours from home. Yesterday was a rough day so I only worked a couple hours before going home.

I'm still trying to stay off medication and am down to usually 1 ibuprofen and 1 tylenol per day. My dent is a little worse than it was right after surgery. I'm hoping its due to the bars settling and my body adjusting to them. I had an xray and the doctor said everything was looking good and that my ribs were definitely pressing against the bars. But overall, there's been a huge improvement visually (can't see my heart beating anymore and only a small dent now that wouldn't be worth having surgery to fix). My resting heart rate has slowed down to where it was before surgery. I haven't noticed better lung capacity yet but hopefully will as I exercise more.

I have another observation for you guys getting ready for surgery. My wife and I love our memory foam bed. We started sleeping so much better when we switched from a spring mattress. However, memory foam has no bounciness which makes it REALLY DIFFICULT to shift or change positions once you lie down with a broken body. It was no issue at all before surgery but now I basically have to sit up and slowly scoot to where I want to lie down and then hope I've aimed my head at the pillow right.

Nolij's journey 10 months 2 weeks ago #7642

Hey Randy
My name is Elmedin and I'm 27 years old.
Im new one here ,and i come from Bosnia&Herzegovina (That's why my English skills are low ,sry for that :D )
Soo,my surgery was 4 weeks ago (07.08.2018) Nuss procedure.It was in Tuzla (my home city).After surgery i was in hospital for a 12 days,and then they let me go back home.I had a pain in mychest,more like a pressure.After i came home pain was still there in implantant area.I had limited moves with my hands,especially with my left arm.Now I'm feeling better but I'm still not able to go back to work or do any activities.I have pain in my back too cause i was slleping on my back every night.I didnt sleep good ,i wake up every night 4-5 times and walk a bit.I lost my motivation cause i saw on internet post operative pain dissaper in 2-3 weeks so i was sad :( .But after that i was researching on internet and i found out that is not so wiered that i still have pain,and that there is people who had pain for a 2-3 months.I have pain in my back and in my chest.I will try to do exercises like u said every day,and I hope so my pain will go away soon so i can go back to work and normal activities.I wish you all guys best of luck,and i get back my motivation when I found this website cause u have explanation for everything.I forgot to say im happy with the results and i can finnaly go to swimming.I wasnt on swimming for a bout 10 years cause of PE. Thank you one more time for your posts.Love from Bosnia.Ill try to make some pictures to show my results

Nolij's journey 10 months 1 week ago #7644

Elmedino90 wrote: Hey Randy
My name is Elmedin and I'm 27 years old.
Im new one here ,and i come from Bosnia&Herzegovina (That's why my English skills are low ,sry for that :D )
Soo,my surgery was 4 weeks ago (07.08.2018) Nuss procedure.It was in Tuzla (my home city).After surgery i was in hospital for a 12 days,and then they let me go back home.I had a pain in mychest,more like a pressure.After i came home pain was still there in implantant area.I had limited moves with my hands,especially with my left arm.Now I'm feeling better but I'm still not able to go back to work or do any activities.I have pain in my back too cause i was slleping on my back every night.I didnt sleep good ,i wake up every night 4-5 times and walk a bit.I lost my motivation cause i saw on internet post operative pain dissaper in 2-3 weeks so i was sad :( .But after that i was researching on internet and i found out that is not so wiered that i still have pain,and that there is people who had pain for a 2-3 months.I have pain in my back and in my chest.I will try to do exercises like u said every day,and I hope so my pain will go away soon so i can go back to work and normal activities.I wish you all guys best of luck,and i get back my motivation when I found this website cause u have explanation for everything.I forgot to say im happy with the results and i can finnaly go to swimming.I wasnt on swimming for a bout 10 years cause of PE. Thank you one more time for your posts.Love from Bosnia.Ill try to make some pictures to show my results

It's not uncommon to feel some pain for months after surgery, but severe pain should be investigated. Pain management has gone a long way and maybe you should adjust your drugs and dosage. Back pain is also normal and for many more troublesome than the actual bar. Eventually your muscles will get used to sleeping on your back and the spasms will subside. Back massage with NSAID gels definitely helps the pain go away quicker.

P.s. Ja sam takodjer nedavno operiran, doduse neuspjesno, pa mi se mozes javiti u privatnu poruku ako imas ikakvih pitanja.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmedino90
Moderators: ipectusRandy
Time to create page: 0.289 seconds

Login | Register