enzh-CNfrdeitjaparuestr

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
24 Mar 2019
Forums are now in read only mode. Please read more to see alternative options.
Read More...
Past and present, we all want to hear your story.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Upcoming Nuss...fellow girls have any advice on concurrent breast augmentation?

Upcoming Nuss...fellow girls have any advice on concurrent breast augmentation? 1 year 2 months ago #7352

Hey everyone,

I'm a 28 yo F and have a haller index of 5.7. I recently had an appt with Dr. J, and of course loved her, and am planning to have the Nuss performed at the Mayo clinic in the next few months. Ive wanted breast implants for years, nothing too huge or crazy, just a little more oomph! So I met with the plastic surgeon at Mayo Clinic, and was given the option to 1) go ahead and do the procedures together at same time, or 2) wait a few months after Nuss to get the implants ( maybe if implants are placed after initial swelling goes down could be less chance for malposition? any thoughts?),, or 3) wait the 3 years and get them done after the bars are removed. I know that in the grand scheme of things 3 years is not very much, but I have been putting my life and so many other things on hold for so long and I wont do it any longer. I know the risk of complications with the implants during the bar removal, and its something I am willing to risk- it may compromise the integrity of the implants but not the pectus repair because the bars would be gone and finished with! And plastic surgeon is there the whole time when bars are removed in case implant is poked and she needs to jump in and do her thing haha

Anyone get implants during or after the Nuss repair? The surgeon says she can try to place submuscular implants which i have been told looks and feels more natural and also has less risk of capsular contracture, but that most the time she ends up doing subglandular with the Nuss bar. Any ladies (or guys!) have strong opinions one way or the other??

So the BIG question to any ladies out there who have experience in this realm... is it better to get implants and Nuss done at once, or a few months apart? ?!
The way i see it (which may not correct!)... If I get the Nuss and augmentation done during the same surgery,- i amsaving money and the pain of a second procedure but risking an increased risk of infection and a potentially poorer cosmetic outcome if my newly distorted swollen chest wall doesnt allow the plastic surgeon to put the implants in the best position or if chest wall shifts or settles or something during the first few months of recovery and the implants end up wonky ( not sure if this even holds up, maybe implants can be put in just as accurately right away even with the all the immediate post op swelling??)
OR I wait a few months until getting the implants, which would maybe lessen the infection risk bc I wont be open on the table for so long all at once, maybe get a better cosmetic outcome, but would have pay for another flight, hotel stay and general anesthesia and facilities cost.

Let me know what yall think, I am supposed to confirm in next 24 hours whether the surgeries are going to be scheduled together or different! Thanks guys!

Upcoming Nuss...fellow girls have any advice on concurrent breast augmentation? 1 year 2 months ago #7356

0991fields, I know you had ask for female opinions on your question(s), but would like to offer my opinion. I have been in the medical field for about 35 years, I am currently an Orthotist/Prosthetist and practitioner who see patients with PC disorders. I would say , that I would have the Nuss procedure then wait 3 years when the bar is removed, see how, at that present time, your chest looks and then decide if you still want to go through breast augmentation surgery. I would assume, your chest will look a lot different after the Nuss procedure then it does now, and as tissue, muscle, ligaments etc. start to heal, things will look a lot different as time progresses. I realize there is more cost involved in having to have two surgeries, but, having the Nuss procedure and breast augmentation surgery, at the same time, knowing either one of the surgeries have protentional concerns with them, just seems a lot for one person to undergo, not to mention the completions that either one alone could have. So, I would suggest go through the Nuss Procedure, wait the 3 years when the bar is removed and re evaluate at that time if you want to go through further surgery. Good Luck and wish you well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 0991fields

Upcoming Nuss...fellow girls have any advice on concurrent breast augmentation? 1 year 2 months ago #7359

HI,
I am a girl (45yo). I had my Nuss procedure in Sept. 2017. I did not need breast augmentation, but here's my honest opinion up to this point. I agree with the person who has been in the field for many years. I recommend waiting the 3 years until you get the bars out. Mine bars are in, and the whole chest changes shape. It's really difficulty to determine where everything is going to shift and end up. Also, I can't imagine putting more things in to heal. There will already be a lot going on.

Because the chest wall changes, it has changed the direction of my breasts. I don't know how things will, then, shift, once the bars are out. While it would require a 2nd surgery, it would be better than having implants placed, then having a poor outcome due to a changing chest wall.

My vote is to wait a couple years.

Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 0991fields

Upcoming Nuss...fellow girls have any advice on concurrent breast augmentation? 1 year 2 months ago #7362

I had breast implants to cover my pectus (doctors kept telling me it was just cosmetic... turns out my haller index is 24. which is nuts) and after my consult with Dr. Frantz at CHKD he said I'll have to have them removed before my Nuss to reduce the risk of infection. He also told me that if I want them back in I should wait until after the bars come out in three years. I'm actually really excited to see how my breasts look on their own post Nuss. He also told me that if I want them back in when the bars come out they can take the bars out and put the implants in at the same time. So if I were you I would wait to see how my breasts look post Nuss and if after everything settles you still want the augmentation you can have it done when you have your second surgery - still saves you time and money, but also gives you the opportunity to see how you look without them.

Upcoming Nuss...fellow girls have any advice on concurrent breast augmentation? 8 months 1 week ago #8171

We were told the same thing for my daughter. She plans on having augmentation at time of removal.
  • Page:
Moderators: ipectusRandy
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds
Cron Job Starts