enzh-CNfrdeitjaparuestr
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Please do not post medical images with names visible on them. This includes x-rays, CT scans, or MRIs. Besides being a HIPAA violation, it may put you at risk for fraud.

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; plgCommunityAcymailing_jomsocial has a deprecated constructor in /home/pectus/public_html/plugins/community/acymailing_jomsocial/acymailing_jomsocial.php on line 9
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1 week post op question

1 week post op question 2 weeks 6 days ago #7760

Hi. My name is Finn Stratford , I’m 15 and I got the nuss bar in just over a week ago at the royal children’s hospital in Melbourne.

I’m really worried about a few things, but the main thing, is what my limitations are. I love outdoor water sports like kayaking, surfing, canoeing. I have no clue when I’m supposed to be allowed to go back to doing those activities again. They all require chest movement. How many weeks should I be well enough to continue those sports.

Another thing I wanted to ask is why the pain is the worst in the mornings. The nurses said it was because I’m stiff and in the one position at night, but I tend to move around a lot during the night. The other day I couldn’t even manage to get myself out of bed. I’m on Endone, Targin, Panadol and Ibuprofen. The pain is fine throughout the day after some morning meds, but I still can’t manage to wake up without waking up in agony.

I also wanted to ask, why I’ve lost my appetite. I can barely eat at anythihg at lunch, and after tea I’m always so full. For the first 4 days, I could barely drink from a small plastic container of water. Is this for a particular reason?

The last thing, is why I’ve lost a bit of muscle, and my ribs are poking out more. It’s kind of annoying, because I got this surgery to fix my body structure, but after the surgery it got worse. My ribs are flared out twice as much as before. And my abdominal muscles are less obvious. I’m a very skinny boy and barely have any muscle at all, but before surgery, you could slightly notice some abdominal muscles, but now they’re just covered with flared ribs. You can see the before and after shots in the photos below. The first one is before, the second one is after. You can even see how I’ve gained heaps of wait around my waist. This is only a week apart. Why would this happen? There seems to still be a hole in my chest and it looks like my whole body has been pushed out.

Can someone help me please?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 week post op question 6 days 3 hours ago #7831

Hi Bud im 10 weeks post nuss.. The flared ribs and the swollen patche on the side of the ribs are just swelling. The do go away after 8-10 weeks. As for pain mornings and evenings especially can get difficult. I could only start sleeping in a bed from 8weeks and wasnt easy. I wake up every nigjt twice with shoulder and back pain.. This surgery isnt as minor as they say. As for the muscle mass. Im a personal trainer and naturally had alot of muscle due to my line of work and i lost 16kilos in 2weeks. The medications they give you namely oxycontin takes your appetite completely away and also affects your metabolism. This surgery is a week by week recovery bud not a daily thing like some say. Its hard on your body. Make sure to try force yourself to eat and even get a protien shake to help. It does get easier every week. This week i could get in and out a bath on my own, sounds stupid but i. Couldnt do it before. Small. Steps. Just keep your head. Straight and postive because this can be though. I would say wait for 3 months + with sports.. I started training light weights at 8 weeks and i can report that you have days where to much or even more movement than before can place you in a very painful situation quick. Unfortunately it is a long recovery with some reporting only feeling able and back after 6 months... I hope its sooner though. Get yourself a ps4 and try get your mind off it.. You will get through it. Best of luck to you

Sheldon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: ipectusRandy
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds
Cron Job Starts