enzh-CNfrdeitjaparuestr
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Nuss bar In for 10 years!

Nuss bar In for 10 years! 1 week 5 days ago #8176

Hi everyone ,I’m Sheryl I’m a 31 year old female and I’m new to the site but not new to the Nuss. My trusty Nuss bar was put in when I was 21 and 10 years on it’s still there. What can I say I’ve been too busy living life to get it out, much to my surgeons many tries to pin me down for the removal. So I finally booked my very over due removal and meet with my surgeon today just to go over any questions I have. My surgeon has said it’s a good idea to have the bar removed as this is practice but because I don’t tend to get any pain with it and it doesn’t stop me doing anything, that is totally up to me to choose to have it out or leave it as it is. Once a year I might suffer pain with it and sometimes it can be pretty sore but like I say that’s only rarely.. my surgeon said because it’s been In there a while he’s probably going to had to hammer and chisel it out due to bone grown around it. I’m so unsure what to do. Do I leave it in or do I get it out. Do I want to put myself through another surgery. Do I need to? Please help. Anyone had it in as long me and had it removed? Any complications etc? Or anyone like me and have it still in there a lifetime later and any complications with that? Before the Nuss my Pectus excavatum was more on the severe spectrum I’d say and currently with the bar in I would say it’s still there the tiniest bit maybe. My surgeon doesn’t agree and he feels it’s gone, maybe he’s right and I am looking for faults! I also have slight rib flare but not by much. Any advice would be amazing :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nuss bar In for 10 years! 1 week 4 days ago #8178

As a Orthotist/Prosthetist and one who mainly sees PC patients for bracing needs and one who does not have PE/PC or has had surgery for these, my opinion and what I know, I would be in the opinion to have it removed, usually the bar is lift in for about 3 years. I know there are patients that have had the bar in longer then that, like yours, and it appears they are doing OK, but some who have had it in for that long, eventually had it removed, due to getting older. My concern would be possible metal allegories surfacing later in life with the bar in, God forbid , some type of accident that having the bar in may cause further trauma. Agree, having the surgery to remove it and doing more to have to remove it, maybe painful in recovery, but that goes away. As you get older, your body changes, may gain weight, lose weight, how will that effect the chest with the bar in? Of course, it will be nice to get answers from those who have had the bar in for as long or longer then you. I wish you luck!

Nuss bar In for 10 years! 1 week 4 days ago #8185

HELLO friend and everybody I am a researcher of Pectus Excavatum disorder ( and i have it my self), and I have found the cause of PE disorder, where can i Start the topic on this subject, i can not find how to post a ne forum topic, thank you. And the cause of PE is improper development of our respiratory sistem due to our modern diet. I can give fact for this and research, just tell me how to open a topic.

Nuss bar In for 10 years! 1 week 3 days ago #8187

• dh66
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank You's Rec'd: 6
Hi ShezLondon,

I haven't had any procedure yet and was diagnosed with severe PE just last year (2018) and I have rib flair. I think removal would reduce possible complications sooner or later as described by Jlittleton. Currently, I'm struggling to grasp that surgery may be the best option for me and it hard to face this reality of even considering doing the first surgery, but I would hope I have your confidence if I did. Why not bring completion and close the chapter on this whole process with removal!? It's also unlikely further time with them in will correct rib-flair unfortunately, but other surgcical options that may be something you could research further. Leaving them in longer could also result in cartilage attaching itself to the bars or something similar. Removal would be one more weight off you're mind a possibly function better physically.

Thanks

Nuss bar In for 10 years! 1 week 2 days ago #8199

Hi everyone thank you all for your messages. I’ve decided to go ahead with it and get it removed. I’m a little nervous. So it’s coming out in two days eeeek. Also to you all who also have P.E. your not alone and if I can help you with any Nuss surgery questions you might have then I’m happy to help. Xxx

Nuss bar In for 10 years! 1 week 2 days ago #8200

Hello, if you just click on forums there should be a link that says start new topic or new topic. Then just click on that. Let us know how you get on :)

Nuss bar In for 10 years! 1 week 1 day ago #8204

Hi there

I had the Nuss bar in for 7 years, from 2008 to 2015. From what I know / can tell, it's always a good idea to get it out at some point, even if day to day life is manageable. In my case it meant I could do more heavy duty exercise. My understanding is that the chance of regression is low, particularly after such a long time.

I wish you all the best

Last edit: by London42. Reason: typo

Nuss bar In for 10 years! 1 week 1 day ago #8205

I've had mine in for 8 years now and plan to have it removed this summer. I was fearful of regression, therefore I would completely avoid the conversation of having it removed, but after revisiting the topic and the health risks associated with leaving the bar in, I've decided to go ahead and have it removed.

Thank you for sharing as I think it's an important topic to discuss as I know we're not the only ones who have had their's in for much longer than most.

Nuss bar In for 10 years! 1 week 1 day ago #8206

Whilst I'm convinced that having the bar removed is the right thing to do I have had some regression on mine since having it removed in 2015. Hence the reason am on this forum as am wondering what can be done. My avatar picture is with the bar in. Before you get alarmed, my understanding is that the chances of regression are low (circa 5%). No doubt others with more expertise can comment further on this but I wouldn't let my experience dissuade you from getting the bar removed.

Best wishes
B

Nuss bar In for 10 years! 1 week 16 hours ago #8216

Thank you for the info :D

• Page:
Moderators: ipectusRandy
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds
Cron Job Starts