enzh-CNfrdeitjaparuestr

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
24 Mar 2019
Forums are now in read only mode. Please read more to see alternative options.
Read More...

TOPIC: Going to have the Ravitch

Going to have the Ravitch 1 year 2 months ago #7244

• Craig36
  • Craig36's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank You's Rec'd: 0
Going to have my ribs bones shortened and hopefully have a nice flat chest been waiting years for this can people let me know how they got on after :-)

Going to have the Ravitch 1 year 2 months ago #7252

Hi Craig,

Others on the board might know better than me but the Ravitch procedure doesn't have a good reputation. The surgeon who operated on me earlier this month, Dr. Schaarschmidt in Berlin (arguably the most skilled PE surgeon in the world), almost never does the Ravitch procedure anymore. We had a whole conversation about it. The scar is much bigger and more prominent, the result isn't as good, the regression rate is way higher, and the recovery is harder.

I don't mean to be negative - I'm just throwing up a warning in case you're being led down the wrong path. I might be speaking out of turn, but my sense of things from talking to Dr. Schaar and from all the journeys and posts I've read is that the Ravitch is normally recommended by inexperienced surgeons. Can I ask who is doing your surgery and where?

Going to have the Ravitch 1 year 2 months ago #7253

• Craig36
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi mate I’m the uk Joel dunning he has a website seems all good and a tiny scar if you go on let me know what you think

Going to have the Ravitch 1 year 2 months ago #7254

Hi Craig, I've seen Joel Dunning's name come up a few times on this board and at pectusinfo.com. People seem satisfied with his work so that's encouraging.

Personally speaking, I wanted only the very best to operate on me which in Europe is Dr. Schaar, so I went to him. I don't know anything about your chest or Dr. Dunning's mini-Ravitch technique though. Maybe it's appropriate for you. I just get a bit nervous whenever I hear people mention Ravitch as my understanding is that it's only suitable now for a teeny-tiny percentage of special cases.

I think if it was me I'd forward some pictures over to some of the other renowned doctors like Schaar and get a second opinion. Can't do any harm.

Going to have the Ravitch 1 year 2 months ago #7255

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5056933/

See attached article with meta-study comparing results of Nuss and Ravitch. There is minimal difference in outcomes these days.

Going to have the Ravitch 1 year 2 months ago #7256

I am getting the same operation in september by joel too :) keep us posted on your operation before and after pics to please if thats ok ty :D

Going to have the Ravitch 1 year 2 months ago #7257

• Craig36
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi mate I’m not going till jan next year so can you
Keep me
Posted lol have you got before pics

Going to have the Ravitch 1 year 2 months ago #7258

aw okay and yeah i do on here somewere lol ive seen a few people now on the facebook forum and there results are good! and i will post on here when i have had it done lol.

Going to have the Ravitch 1 year 2 months ago #7259

• Craig36
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Sent you a friends thing on here :-)

Going to have the Ravitch 1 year 2 months ago #7266

I had a quick look at that study and I don't think it's credible at all. Firstly it seems to relate only to post-op complications, there doesn't appear to be any measurement of the quality of the result or the patient satisfaction with it (which is by far the most important factor for most of us). Secondly the study openly admits that the data it's based on was poor: "The lack of definitive findings is largely due to methodological issues with the data analyzed, which was largely of suboptimal quality". I don't think that any useful conclusions can be drawn from it and certainly don't accept that it proves there is minimal difference between Nuss and Ravitch procedures.

Crucially, the most experienced surgeons all strongly favour Nuss over Ravitch. Check out the video below where Dr. J explains why she performs over 90% Nuss. I also know from speaking personally with Dr. Schaar that he feels the same.

Moderators: ipectusRandy
Time to create page: 0.293 seconds
Cron Job Starts