enzh-CNfrdeitjaparuestr
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Nuss procedure mostly for cosmetics?

Nuss procedure mostly for cosmetics? 2 weeks 1 day ago #8745

Hey all I am wondering about going for a nuss procedure. i do not know about any physical symptoms but in terms of cosmetic it is a major factor. It takes away confidence to remove my shirt in public but i am wondering if that alone is enough of a reason to undergo the surgery. I am 18 and have not done any scans and so am unaware of my haller index. any feedback would be appreciated just wondering if the operation has been worth the pain and costs to others and looking for some opinions about if i should or not. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nuss procedure mostly for cosmetics? 2 weeks 1 day ago #8747

Hi Jono, Do you have any pictures of your PE? Also, if it's just for cosmetic purposes, have you seen my post about the PE custom made implant?
www.pectus.com/forums/5-pectus-excavatum...-custom-made-implant

All the best, Dan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jono1324

Nuss procedure mostly for cosmetics? 2 weeks 1 day ago #8750

Heres a photo

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Nuss procedure mostly for cosmetics? 2 weeks 10 hours ago #8754

Hi Jono,
My opinion after looking at your photo is to go and have a CT scan to find out if there is any compression on your heart and/or lungs caused by your PE and also find out your haller index. You have no symptoms, so it's unlikely it is compressing anything, although sometimes symptoms can appear later in life so you're better off getting a professional doctors opinion. Once you've done that you'll have a lot more information which will help you decide your next move. Being 18, you'd be a good candidate for the Nuss procedure if your doctor does recommend that, but again, it all depends on your results from the CT scan and other tests your doctor may perform. Likewise, if the Nuss procedure isn't recommended by your doctor because there isn't any compression etc it also looks like you'd get a great result from the custom made implant. I did a lot of reading and research before I had my custom made implant and stumbled across this on the AnatomikModelling website www.anatomikmodeling.com/en/pectus-excavatum-terminology looking through the different chin types, I'd say you have CHIN 1 PE (no way near as severe as the picture example they use though!) , which again can be easily filled from an implant to achieve a great result.

But as I say, go see a doctor first and have a CT scan to get their professional opinion, if there is a lot of compression I'd say go for the Nuss procedure whilst you're still young and if that's what the doctor recommends, if not, I'd say go for the implant to achieve the cosmetic result you want :) But either way, get the ball rolling soon and be prepared to do a lot of chasing, years can pass in a flash and before you know it, it's been 10 more years living with PE (talking from experience that I wish I had my implant years ago!).

Also, where in the world are you?

Hope this helps. Dan

Nuss procedure mostly for cosmetics? 1 week 5 days ago #8764

You have a wonderful thorax and you're lucky because your sternal manubrium seems to be perfectly in place, so maybe you could consider a mini-ravitvh procedure, if you find some center where they perform it state of the art.

I do not mean to scary you but sometimes symptoms develop and/or start worsenening only after 25-30 Yo

At your age you would be The perfect candidate for a Nuss, anyway. Don't wait Too long.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jono1324

Last edit: by Simba.

Nuss procedure mostly for cosmetics? 5 days 4 hours ago #8814

• Fish
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank You's Rec'd: 35
Based on your photo you should qualify for the Nuss.
I guarantee you have heart compression and it is probably just something you perceive as normal in terms of symptoms.
Many people do not feel the full effects until later in life.....my symptoms did not surface until age 38ish.

Thee entire process is long and very painful BUT very rewarding. It will always come down to you making the right decision. At your age with the current Nuss procedure being very successful I would do it if I were you.

I just had 3 bars removed after a little over 3 years...

Last edit: by Fish.

Nuss procedure mostly for cosmetics? 4 days 3 hours ago #8822

Agree with the responses, you should get the "ball" rolling and follow up with your physician on your chest. You may not have any symptoms presently, but as you get order this may change, and as you get older, recovery, usually, is more "challenging". Good luck!

• Page:
Moderators: ipectusRandy
Time to create page: 0.264 seconds