enzh-CNfrdeitjaparuestr

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
24 Mar 2019
Forums are now in read only mode. Please read more to see alternative options.
Read More...
Introduce yourself to the iPectus Community!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Just started this process, need advice

Just started this process, need advice 3 months 21 hours ago #8944

I have had PE for as long as I can remember, and assumed everyone got short of breath during exercise. I’m 54, and have just been told that the pectus is preventing my right ventricle from opening properly. I have a recurrent cough and elevated hemoglobin, possibly related to the PE displacing lungs. I never realized the pectus could cause these problems. I’m just starting to research doctors now. I’ve seen Dr. J mentioned a lot, and Dr. Miller. I’m in the HIlton Head, SC area, so Charleston is the closest major hospital, but I don’t see a pectus surgeon that works on us old folks. I’ve seen mention that some Drs will address the issue of rib flare, but have not seen anything describing that surgery. Anyone with advice for this newbie?

Just started this process, need advice 3 months 10 hours ago #8945

I believe you should contact Mayo center
The following user(s) said Thank You: Awoogie

Just started this process, need advice 3 months 10 hours ago #8946

I just had a consultation for PC with Miller on Wednesday. Really nice guy. Has a lot of open availability so wait list will be a lot shorter. A user on here tdtuff had a PE surgery with him like 8 months ago and I believe she was older and her issues were fixed and she recovered well.

Miller made a mention of being able to nip one of my lower ribs to correct my rib flare and I didnt even bring up my rib flare in the meeting. There is a youtube video of Dr J and Dr Miller talking about PE, PC etc and you can tell both doctors seem to really care about the patient's end result medically and cosmetically.

Just started this process, need advice 3 months 8 hours ago #8947

PE repair is totally doable for older folks. It just makes it more important to find an experienced surgeon because recovery will be tougher. I'm on the other side of the country (Utah) and got nussed by Dr David Griffin in Salt Lake City but he said his oldest patient was 60 and recovered well although they were upset with how painful it was for the first while. He didn't do anything about my rib flare and it doesn't seem like every surgeon does so make sure you ask (I asked him beforehand and was ok with him only wanting to repair the dent). I think this might be the video @RFuerst mentioned about Dr J and Miller

intermountainhealthcare.org/find-a-doctor/g/griffin-david-c/

Just started this process, need advice 3 months 44 minutes ago #8948

Yes that's the video I'm thinking of.

Just started this process, need advice 2 months 4 weeks ago #8949

• ACA
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank You's Rec'd: 3
I got nussed by Dr J at 47 - in May it will be 3 years so my bars are scheduled to come out soon. I originally had 3 bars but one had to be removed because it tore through some tissue and was very painful. I'm not going to sugar coat it - the recovery was tough...lots of pain and sleepless nights. Things got way better after the 3rd bar was removed....I still have 2 bars in and hardly notice them anymore. I almost gave up in those early days, but I'm so glad I stuck it out, and now I'm just a couple months away from removal. As far as rib flare, I still have it but Dr J says she can still work on it and make it look better when she removes the bars. Hope this helps.
ACA
  • Page:
Moderators: ipectusRandy
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds

Login | Register